Friday, April 3, 2009

BISSELL kicks off the three day Cherry Blossom Classic taking 1st and 2nd in the opening stage

From Paul Mach:

This weekend a few of us Bissell boys, me, Omer, Morgan and Jeremy, headed up to The Dallas for the Cherry Blossom Classic. It is Omer's first race back after his crash at the Tour of California and he wanted some company.

The first stage today was a road race, 4 loops for 75 miles, up and over a hill. Tomorrow has a TT in the morning and Crit in the evening. There is another road race on Sunday.

Even before the start Morgan had some drama. He caught a stick on the way to the start line and tore the derailleur hanger right off his Pinarello Prince. It was pretty sad but he was a good sport and ended up as our only guy in the feedzone.

I was expecting the race to roll out pretty mellow but the local teams were out in force and a break went away early. Jeremy made it into a chase group and Omer set me up for a bridge attempt on the climb. The two front groups came together over the top so we had 2 Bissell out of about 15.

We rolled well for the rest of the lap. The second time up the climb Jeremy and I worked the front and the group dwindled down to 7 guys. At this point we decided that I should try to get up the road since Jeremy is the only one with a TT bike and I could use the extra time.

Thus, I attacked the third time up the climb and my Easton EC90 Aero wheels rolled so well I stayed away for the whole last lap. It was a little early but plan B was for Jeremy to sit on and sprint so I think we had it pretty good. That is just what he did and finished second.

Official results haven't been posted yet but I think I'm a couple minutes up on Jeremy and maybe another minute up on third place. A pretty good way to start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Must have been all that great Thai food you guys consumed. Have a great rest of the race!